Syria warns Turkey against extension of cross-border “counterterrorism” authorization
Syria on Saturday condemned “in the strongest terms” Ankara’s recent threat to send more military forces and step up combat operations in the country, as well as in Iraq, a ministry source said. Syrian Foreign Minister to the semi-official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA). Accusing Turkey of engaging in volatile geopolitics and calling it a danger to “regional peace and security”, Syria on Saturday mocked the Turkish parliament’s authorization of cross-border “counterterrorism operations” “in northern Iraq and Syria for two more years.
Syria accuses Turkey of violating Security Council resolutions, sends stern warning to Ankara
The Syrian diplomatic source allegedly blasted Ankara for “having launched new military attacks on Syrian territory and violated Security Council resolutions relating to the situation in Syria”. The unnamed source went on to condemn the inaction of part of the Security Council, saying it “allowed Turkey to persist in its crimes and aggression against Syria” and allowed it to “continue to occupy Syrian lands and to impose a demographic change, Turkification “. In addition, Syria accused Ankara of engaging in “perpetual occupation”.
The Syrian source FM called on the Security Council to “exercise its mandates and powers by condemning all the aggressive practices of the Turkish regime against the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of the Syrian Arab Republic”. In addition, the said source also demanded action by the international community against Turkey for its constant belligerence against Syrian civilians, its attacks on infrastructure, public and private property, natural resources and the historical heritage of the nation. In an apparent warning to Turkey, the Syrian source reiterated that Syria “reserves the absolute right” under international law to defend itself and to take “all practical and legal measures, to repel Turkish aggression and liberate all Syrian territory, âSputnik reported.
Erdogan says he will not hesitate to deploy heavy weapons in Syria; expands cross-border operations
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had previously warned that he “would not hesitate” to deploy heavy weapons and more Turkish forces in northern Syria against the Syrian Arab Army (SAA), in renewed discontent against the Syrian Arab Army (SAA). Syrian Kurds in the war-torn country. “For the moment, our operations continue in the critical points of the region, there is absolutely no compromise,” Ankara President Erdogan told Turkish reporters. northern Iraq and Syria for another two years.
Operation Euphrates Shield was launched by the Turkish army in northern Syria in 2016, followed by Operation Olive Branch in 2018, Operation Peace Spring in 2019, and Operation Spring Shield in 2020. These operations were launched with the aim of creating a Syria-free zone. The Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) as well as its border with the neighboring country, the news agency reported. He added that the YPG is considered by Turkey to be a Syrian affiliate of the banned Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).